We’re pleased to announce that SecureDrop 2.5.0 has been released. Changes that journalists and administrators should be aware of are summarized in this blog post. A complete list of changes can be found on GitHub.
What’s new in SecureDrop 2.5.0?
- Usability: Fixed an issue with how organization names containing special characters are displayed (Issue, Pull Request)
- Usability: Some potentially offensive words have been removed from the list that is used to generate codenames (Pull Request)
For journalists and administrators
- Authentication: After logging in, journalist’s session details are now stored on the server rather than on-device, and session behavior has been made consistent across the Journalist Interface and the API. Logout, password changes and user deletion now delete the session tokens both server and client side.(Pull Request)
- Usability: Template password database for Journalist and Admin Workstations has been updated with more accurate descriptions. (Issue, Pull Request)
- Localization: A phrase in the Journalist Interface that was always shown in English is now translatable (Pull Request)
- Localization: Arabic has been restored as a supported user interface language. (Pull Request)
- Documentation: Developer documentation has been removed from the main project documentation, and moved to its own site at developers.securedrop.org (Issue, Pull Request)
- Dependency updates: The following dependencies have been updated:
What administrators need to do
SecureDrop Application and Monitor Servers will be updated to SecureDrop 2.5.0 automatically within 24 hours of the release. As with previous releases, we recommend that you update your Tails workstations to the latest version of Tails and the latest version of SecureDrop. Please see our upgrade guide for instructions.
The translations for all supported languages were updated thanks to the work of many volunteers:
- Catalan: John Smith
- Greek: Adrian, Dimitris Maroulidis
- French: AO Localization Lab
- Icelandic: Oktavia, Sveinn í Felli
- Italian: Claudio Arseni, Giandomenico Lombardi
- Norwegian: Øyvind Bye Skille
- Dutch: kwadronaut
- Portuguese, Portugal: deeplow, notmuchtohide
- Russian: Andrey
- Spanish: David Figuera, cacu
- Swedish: Jonas Waga, eckeman, kwadronaut
- Turkish: Kaya Zeren
- Chinese, Simplified: ff98sha
- Chinese, Traditional: Chi-Hsun Tsai
Thanks to Erin McConnell and the Localization Lab for supporting this effort.
We are currently lacking active translators for Hindi, Romanian, and Slovak, which are at risk of being removed in the next SecureDrop release. If you speak one of these languages or know someone who does, please see our instructions on contributing translations.
This release incorporates Freedom of the Press Foundation contributions by: Kevin O'Gorman (release manager), Cory Francis Myers (deputy RM and localization manager), Michael Z (deputy LM), Nathan Dyer (communications manager), Erik Moeller (deputy CM), Giulio Berra, Gonzalo Bulnes Guilpain, Kunal Mehta, and Rowen S.
Questions and comments
If you have questions or comments regarding this release, please contact us:
- Via our Support Portal, if you are a member (membership is available to SecureDrop administrators on request);
- Via firstname.lastname@example.org (GPG encrypted) for sensitive security issues (please use judiciously);
- Via our community forums.
We also encourage you to file non-sensitive issues you encounter in our GitHub repository (issue report form).
Thank you for using SecureDrop!